Database Developer / Administrator
Salary: Grade 4 - £25,694 - £33,106
Contract type: Temporary (initially for 2 years)
An increasing focus on technical and geospatial dissemination at the Data Unit means that we are now looking for additional resources to sustain and develop our database infrastructure.
We are looking for a candidate who has strong Microsoft SQL Server development and administration skills, and experience of using and managing geospatial data.
The ideal candidate will have excellent MS Office skills. Knowledge and experience in the use of PowerBI would be an advantage. You will be able to work in a small organisation and communicate with a variety of technical and non-technical staff.
We are planning a programme of work to improve our data repository and web/dissemination database environments. Alongside this work we are seeking to upgrade our Microsoft SQL 2008 servers.
We currently deploy geospatial data using a Postgres SQL server and an Apache Geoserver. We would like to rationalise these applications to use Microsoft tooling.
We expect the post holder to be responsible for SQL administration and maintenance, and to take a pro-active role in improving our SQL operating environment.
The post holder will also support the development of web facing database applications.
The successful candidate will be expected to work flexibly and, on occasion, to work outside of normal working hours.
Functions of this post
Developing, maintaining and supporting our database environment, while ensuring high levels of data availability. Work tasks are likely to include:
- Migrating our existing data repository into an improved schema;
- Creating data transformation tools to support and develop our repository and dissemination toolset;
- Upgrading SQL Server 2008 database servers;
- Transferring non-Microsoft geospatial SQL data into Microsoft tools;
- Creating and maintaining technical documentation;
- Liaising with technical colleagues on the development of web applications;
- Producing reports and ad-hoc queries to support business need;
- Ensuring all database systems meet business and performance requirements;
- Liaising with suppliers around database infrastructure; and
- Carrying out any other relevant work as necessary.
- An appropriate professional qualification such as an ICT degree, or ICT at further education level, or Microsoft certification, or equivalent relevant experience;
- Recent experience of managing and maintaining Microsoft SQL servers;
- A practical understanding of current Microsoft SQL development technologies;
- Strong analysis and reporting skills.
- Exposure to/experience of PowerBI;
- Able to advise non-technical staff using non-technical language; and
- Competent in the use of MS Excel.
All of these posts will be offered for an initial period of 2 years.
The posts may involve travel within Wales. The ability to speak Welsh will be considered to be an advantage.
What we can offer
We are a learning organisation with a commitment to learning and development. We value our people and it shows. We have held Investors in People status continuously for the last 15 years.
We operate a flexible working scheme which gives employees the opportunity to be flexible about their work whilst ensuring that the needs of our business are met.
What we expect from you
With flexibility comes responsibility. We expect our staff to be self-motivated and committed to our work. We treat people as adults and expect them to act accordingly.
If you are interested in this position then please click the ‘Apply Now’ button below and follow the application process on our website
Your application should reach us no later than noon on Wednesday 30 November. Interviews will be held in our Cardiff offices on Monday 12 December 2016.
We offer a range of specialist support designed to help you find and use data effectively, including:
* Help to source, collect, or collate data
* Data analysis
* Effective data presentation
* Advice on the best ways to undertake research
* Help to find out what citizens, service users/customers think
* Training your staff in relevant topics such as Basic Statistics, Presenting Data, Managing Performance, Survey Design & Analysis, Questionnaire Design etc.
* Providing cost-effective access to a range of commercial data sets.