PURPOSE OF JOB:
- To facilitate and enable the development and delivery of consistently safe high quality evidence based care practices for the welfare and benefit of all our Service Users, Staff and Stakeholders.
- To have a lead responsibility for the implementation and monitoring of the National Minimum Standards applicable to care homes for younger adults with Mental Health and Learning Disabilities made by the Minister for Health and Social Services of the Welsh Assembly Government under the Care Standards Act 2000 / Care Home (Wales) Regulations 2002 and any subsequent updates to any relevant legislation.
- To work with, supervise and appraise all staff in accordance with the Code of Practice and Operational Policy of Gofal Cymru Care Ltd.
- To provide clear and consistent leadership to the Care Workforce and give professional advice on Good practices when required.
- To co-ordinate the education and training needs in line with regulatory requirements of all staff and advise the Responsible Individual on training and development needs for staff.
- To participate in the development of Gofal Cymru Care Ltd’s policies & procedures and the promotion of audit and research to provide a high standard of care.
- To ensure the ongoing financial viability of the service – maximising occupancy and income whilst keeping efficiency of the home by working within internal budgets.
KEY RESULTS AREA:
1. Ensure high quality delivery of care at all times in accordance with multi-disciplinary decisions; service users needs, recognised good practice, local policies & procedures, and implement improvements where identified.
2. Effectively manage all aspects of the day to day running of the service whilst supervising and supporting the team, ensuring that Gofal Cymru Care Ltd’s values and ethos of Facilitating, Advocacy, Role Modelling and Mentoring (FARM) are always maintained and are Service User focused at all times.
3. Ensure that effective Care systems are in place, maintained and monitored within the Services. Oversee and contribute to the assessment of admissions to the prospective service users in accordance with the agreed referral and assessment process.
4. Ensure that the organisation is fully engaged in evidence based practice, risk management and risk audit.
5. Ensure the continuous monitoring and evaluation of the quality of service provision in consultation with Service Users, their relatives, staff and relevant professionals.
6. Maintain an up to date knowledge base of learning disability and mental health and care practices by participation in care practices and therapeutic activities.
7. Provide regular reports about key areas of performance e.g. quality and finance, to the Care Provider.
8. Ensure that complaints are dealt with in a timely and sensitive manner.
9. Ensure that Gofal Cymru Care Ltd complies with all relevant Health & Safety legislation, COSHH and Equality and Diversity.
10. Develop and nurture the roles and competencies of the staff team to promote effective care leadership.
11. Formulate and regularly review policies and procedures for all aspects relating to Gofal Cymru Care Ltd in line with current, emergent and anticipated needs, best practice, regulatory requirements and legislation.
12. Ensure the provision of a high standard of nursing and social care which directly relates to care plans and the regularly reassessed needs of the Service Users.
13. Ensure that local social and health care plans are in place for all Service Users and they are person-centred and regularly reviewed.
14. Follow Service Users Individual care plans to administer medication to Service Users as prescribed, accurately maintaining appropriate records for both. Responsible for ordering, checking in and stock control of Service Users prescribes medication and maintaining systems to ensure effective stock management of all products.
15. Implement and maintain a robust quality assurance system to ensure a consistent high standard of care in line with regulatory requirements and best practice.
16. Create and maintain close links with the adult protection lead within the Local Authority and ensure that adult protection procedures are followed and that all staff are suitably trained.
17. To ensure that all nursing and care staff work in line with the Care Council for Wales Codes of Practice for Social Care Workers.
- Participate actively in the recruitment, management and retention of staff.
- Ensure adequate levels of staff are maintained at all times. Ensure that appropriate relief cover is organised as necessary and that relief staff are used efficiently.
- Responsible for organisation of staff including; arranging staff rotas, ensuring adequate numbers of staff are employed and all shifts are covered, managing staff annual leave and sickness levels.
4. Lead, motivate, develop, appoint and induct new staff. Manage and support their performance in line with Company objectives.
5. Support, mentor and supervise staff within Gofal Cymru Care Ltd or make arrangements for this to happen.
6. Ensure that the conduct of staff is monitored closely and deal with conduct issues through support or disciplinary channels.
7. Manage capability and disciplinary issues within the organisation and contribute to investigations outside the service as required.
8. Monitor absence levels and implement sickness management policies.
- Ensure that the budgets for Gofal Cymru Care Ltd’s establishments are properly administered.
- Supervise petty cash expenditure and documentation and ensure that banking and other financial procedures are adhered to.
- To support Service Users with their personal financial arrangements, maintaining confidentiality of all information, and ensure that any financial transaction is recorded and treated with the utmost honesty.
- Ensure effective communication systems are in place to facilitate the dissemination of care and professional issues between home and outside.
- Develop networks within learning disability groups, locally, regionally & nationally and Care Council Forum.
- Ensure effective communication/liaison systems are in place between Gofal Cymru Care Ltd’s establishments and service users, carers, social services, voluntary organisations and other disciplines.
- Participate where appropriate in the speedy and effective resolution of complaints in line with the Policy of Gofal Cymru Care Ltd.
- To be an active and encouraging Manager, establish and maintain effective means of communication and good relationships with Service Users, Staff and Stakeholders.
Education and Training:
- Ensure that effective systems are in place to identify training and development needs of staff which would inform the annual training plan.
- Ensure that staff has Performance Development Plans and access to training programmes.
- Ensure that mandatory/core training programme requirements are fulfilled.
- Use appropriate learning tools and standards such as QCFs and IIP to ensure best practice is maintained and that training targets are met.
General Personal Development:
- Ensure own Continuing Professional Development (CPD) through the use of supervision and appraisal.
- Ensure Continuous Registration with the Care Council for Wales.
- Participate where appropriate in Gofal Cymru Care Ltd’s initiatives and other Care projects
- Maintain knowledge in learning disability and mental health, develop expert knowledge and skills and act as a resource for others.
- Act as a positive role model for all staff.
· This is not an exhaustive list of duties and responsibilities, and the post holder may be required to undertake other duties which fall within the grade of the job, in discussion with the managing director.
· This job description will be reviewed regularly in the light of changing service requirements and any such changes will be discussed with the post holder.
· The post holder is expected to comply with all relevant Organisational Policies, Procedures and guidelines, including those relating to Equal Opportunities, Health and Safety and Confidentiality of Information.